Monday 16 May 2011

The Death of Benny Blow: Blown out of proportion

"Insanity is genius..."-ANONYMOUS.

I guess even the sky gets cried out.The clouds had come to resemble the soggy pillow of a sad woman that often cried herself to sleep.The funeral was basicaly over.The coffin had been lowered and burried,the wreaths laid.Father Walker had read from the bible and even spoken at the church.It was fairly the same words you hear at every other church service;"celebrate the deceased's life","there is salvation for us all","...a better place awaits us...".He couldnt speak much about Benny or his life,he barely knew him.You couldnt blame him either,Benny very rarely went to church.People had gotten up to speak about Benny Blow,about his life,what he would say...and it struck me.It struck me that very few,if not all of them,did not know much about him.Yes they could quote a 'con status' or even mention times when he lifted their spirits,but they could not express what he stood for;what exactly he was saying even behind his humor...tears of a sad clown.Benny Blow,we hardly knew ye...
.
"Babe...",I felt Mukuntas hand on my shoulder and turned to her.I smiled.Always a sight for sore eyes.
"Babe,u have to stop this now...I think its time to go..."
"Yeah,just hold on,i think i still have to shake some hands and accept condolences." I said.
"...No,Bwanga,u hav to stop this.I think its gone far enough," her voice was shaking.I was confused,
"What are u talking about? Stop what?"
"All this! I know Benny Blow meant something to u,but a whole funeral?! You've thrown away large sums of money for the funeral of an alter ego! An imaginary friend! I went along with it because i didnt want to accept something was wrong with you.I thought u would snap out of it...," ,tears were flowing down her cheek.
"...Mukunta,i know u are hurt,but this is no time to be cruel..," I said.
"Cruel? Cruel?! Cruelty is bringing all these kind people here to mourn because of ur cries for attention! Some people actually thought Benny was a real person and someone had actually died! You are lucky ur friends and relatives love u.I called everyone i could and explained that u wer in a fragile state.I was hoping if they showed up you would realise that we all love u and we are here for you.We know u are here.But putting us through this is hard babe.Seeing u like this is HARD.Please come back to us and stop this Benny nonsense,he is not real!"
I couldnt believe what she was saying! How could she be so cold? I had lost someone dear to me and the one shoulder i knew i could cry on had turned cold."Stop saying that!".A few of my friends had seen what was going on and had drawn close.Chibale came over to me and said,"Yeah man,u should listen to her.We are begining to realy worry.U know what this could do to the queen."
I shoved him and ran to the grave.I grabbed a shovel and begun to dig furiously.I shoveld dirt in every direction,some of it catching innocent by-standers."Il show u whos imaginary!" i shouted,"Il show u!".I heaved and thrust the wet dirt like a crazed treasure hunter.With each scoop,something told me to stop.As i dug deeper,i felt a sickening feeling crawl up from my stomach.Someone,i dont remember who,tried to restrain me and grabbed the shovel.I pushed them away and dug with my bare hands,clawing through the mud.Unbelievably i had reachd my goal and was scratching at the coffin.I grabbed a huge rock and began to slam it on the fine wood."Il show u whos real!".SLAM! SLAM! SLAM! People were screaming and murmuring.Had i realy lost it?
I had finaly broken a large enough hole into the coffin.My clothes where stained with red mud.I could taste the mineral dirt.I was exhausted,out of breath.And when i peeped in to see Benny in his eternal slumber,he wasnt there.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! very very interesting... u really are an awesome writer... cant wait to read more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. my guy...i know you're a goon but hands down my nigga this some good stuff! As in for real...give u some some big R.E.S.P.E.C.T!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete