Friday 13 May 2011

The Fat Lady Sings pt.I

"No one knows,however,when that day or hour will come-
neither the angels in heaven nor the Son, the Father alone knows.
The coming of the Son of man will be like what happened
in the time of Noah. In the days before the flood people
ate and drank ,men and women married up to the very day
Noah went into the boat; yet they did not realise what was happening
until the flood came and swept them all away. That is how it will be
when the Son of man comes .At that time two men will be working in a field:
one will be taken and the other left behind. Two women will be grinding meal:
one will be taken, the other left behind...." MATHEW:36-41

I went through the same regular routine just like every other night. Television had gotten boring and its waves had induced that sleepy feeling once again. Besides,I wasn't about to watch another ignorant episode of 'Yo mama' on MTV. So I dragged my feet through the corridor to my room after switching off the lights in the living room and kitchen, thinking about nothing in particular. The bedroom was dark and I could see nothing but silhouettes and shadows, but I knew my way around.My hands reached out for the ladder andIi climbed up to my bed on the top bunk. One of my cousins muttered something about spider-man in his sleep. I wonder what he was dreaming about. I knelt on my bed and said a prayer. Deep in my thoughts I asked God to forgive me for my sins; to give me the strength and courage I need to run through life; to protect us all from evil and to help me find Jesus. In Jesus' mighty name I prayed, amen. And with that I hit my pillow. The pillow was as cool as I liked it and I snuggled in my duvet trying to find the perfect sleeping position. The bed sheets were also cool and I unknowingly curled my toes. A couple of thoughts drifted through my sleepy head, constructive at first then swirling into randomness. The events of the day; What I would do the next day; how I need to make positive changes in my life; dirty thoughts of my girlfriend; why mosquitoes are so annoying; what mosquitoes did during the day; if mosquitoes also had thoughts of their own....
I was well into my sleep having one of those dreams where I was back in high school and everyone I knew (including those I met after high school) was in my class; when something woke me. I wasn't drunk with sleep, I was wide awake and I knew the whole world was too. The time had come. And I had been caught sleeping. Like a thief in the night he said. It was time to meet my maker.
Most of the stuff I had read or heard about did not happen. No armageddon (what a relief!), no horsemen, no bleeding moons, no rapture, no tyranny by true evil; just the sounding of a trumpet. It wasn't necessarily that rude awakening sound of a trumpet synonymous with military boot camps  no. It was an announcement through a global P.A system. Every colour, race and creed heard it .It pierced through every barrier and floated across every ocean and into all of mankind's ears. The sound echoed through every temple ,every shrine and every holy city. God had lent us life and he was here to collect the debt.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment