Tuesday 10 May 2011

The Fat Lady Sings Pt.III

"When The Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you visited me…"-MATT 25:31-36

As we moved further on I could see us approaching an alter. An angel stood behind it but I could not see his face. It shined a brilliant light. Probably one of the saints. But which one? Of course I wouldn't know that now, would I? How much of the bible did I even know? John 3:16-For God so loved the world that He gave—everyone knows that one genius! The line branched off into two at the alter. You didn't need a super imagination or a degree in religious filing to know why. To the right went the righteous. Those who had served God and loved Jesus. Those who would frolic in the streets of gold and rub shoulders with the disciples and even Jesus Himself. To the left went the….Lefteous.Those who had served others and loved themselves. Those who were destined to belly flop in the lake of fire and drown in it. The lake where the lifeguard on duty would probably be bat-winged and if he gave you C.P.R, he would leave with your tongue.

The closer we got, the more nervous I got. If I still had my heart it would have been racing. Far away, to the left of the altar I saw a familiar head. Was it him? Yes! Yes it was! That little bastard! [Sorry God]. That little holier than thou bastar---guy! Everyone knew someone like him. The type to never miss a Sunday of church, knew his bible well and always frowned upon the activities of others. Some dark part of me felt good about it though, some part of me exalted his failure. But that malevolent satisfaction quickly turned into fear. If he was going there, where would I go?

The guy in front of me was let through. The angel gestured his arm pointing to the right, ushering the new guy into paradise. It was now my turn.
"Step forward my son. What is your name?"
"Bwanga. Bwanga Kapumpa…your holiness." That was corny! Why would you say something like that? You sounded like a boot-licking defendant in a Zambian court!
"Bwanga. Bwanga…..Hmmmm…., as he scrolled through the large book of life I wondered what order we were all arranged in. Alphabetically? By date of creation? By degree or extent of sin? The number of good deeds done in your previous life?...
"Ahh, yes! Bwanga Kapumpa! 'Benny Blow' ha-ha!"
"Haha, yes that's me," I replied embarrassed.
"Yes. To the left if you please," the angel said raising his left hand, pointing to the dark left.
"What, that's it?" I asked genuinely surprised.
"How do you mean?"
"I mean…that's all? I don't get to hear anything? No questions?"
"What, you would like me to read you your rights? Or perhaps a list of your sins? I don't think so my brother. Your time has come." He said.
"Listen," I began, "I can explain."
"Oh yes, go ahead. We do have all of eternity after all." the angel replied sarcastically.
"What's your name?" I asked.
"I am Saint Peter!" he bellowed, "Charged with the keys of The Kingdom of Heaven. Upon this rock the Lord built His church and the gates of Hades will not overpower it!"
"Yes, yes. I understand .Good for you . But listen, I'm a good guy. I shouldn't be going that way. I always put others before myself. I was there for people when they needed me. I lent a helping hand when I could and my shoulders are still wet from all the crying people did on them. I listened to my mother and shared what I could. I may have not gone to church every Sunday, but I tried. And I listened. I said a prayer every morning and almost every night…"
"For God so loved the world that he gave his—"
"Yes, I understand all that, but PLEASE—"
"I cannot let you in son. You cannot enter The Kingdom of God without accepting Jesus Christ our Lord as your savior," he told me.
"Wait…maybe I could talk to Jesus. Where is He? I'm sure He'll understand."
"Listen, this is not some exclusive club you can negotiate your way into. Jesus cannot save you now .Its too late. You chose your fate when you chose to ignore him."
"But wait..Wait…I…buh--," tears were beginning to fill my eyes. Saint Peter simply lowered his head, raised his left arm and pointed to the gates of the abyss. I looked at him long and hard hoping for some sympathy but he was unmoving. I dragged my feet away from the queue to the altar towards the queue to the fiery pits.

There was no one to usher us in. I could feel the heat from a distance as the flames licked the entrance. I could smell the toxic fumes and sulphur as I approached. And then, I heard singing…Sorrowful yet melodious singing. Falsettos and high pitched tones echoed through the inferno. I looked up to the side as I walked in, and there she was, high up on a ledge; the fat lady….

                                                               THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment